Candidates for the RMA® examination are accepted on the basis of prior education, experience, and ethics requirements. The RMA® designation is an advanced designation focused specifically on the issues of retirement income planning and retirement management. It is assumed that candidates already have a solid understanding of basic retirement planning and investment principles.
RMA® candidates have demonstrated knowledge and experience in their practical application. We would look for at least three (3) or more years experience as a financial advisor working with clients on retirement and non-retirement portfolios, or comparable experience in the financial services industry directly involved in the retirement and investments business. Holding various FINRA registrations, e.g. series 7, 24, 63, 65, or 66, as well as other designations, e.g. CFA, CFP, will all be considered as evidence of prerequisite knowledge.
If unsure if you meet the above requirements, contact Francois Gadenne, Advisor Education Director.
RMA® candidates are required to:
- Complete the RMA® application and certify that the information in the application is accurate, agree to the RIIA Code of Conduct and that they have not been fined or sanctioned from practicing in the financial services field by any state or federal government or regulatory authority, or by any industry self-regulatory body or by any employer.
If interested in the RMA® designation, you may take the exam in the following ways:
- If you attend one of our boot-camp or evening class programs (e.g. Salem State University, Texas Tech University), you can sit for the exam at the end of the program.
- If you attend on of our distance learning programs (e.g. Boston University), we will work with you to arrange a proctored exam at a location of your choice and at a later date.
Use the link appropriate to your RIIA status and desire. Application and exam fee are the same in all forms.
- Sit for and pass the RMA® Examination.
The first year RMA® certification fee is $395, including the RMA® exam fee. The subsequent annual fee to maintain the RMA® certification is only $295. RMA® certification includes many benefits:
- Entitles you to use the RMA® designation to distinguish yourself in the retirement field and use the logo on your business cards and stationary (subject to your firm’s compliance policy and RIIA’s logo use policy)
- An eSubscription to the Retirement Management Journal® containing articles from leading academics and practitioners on the latest advances in thought leadership in the field and serves as a primary component of the ongoing continuing education
- Eligibility to join the Practitioner Peer Review Committee to review or write articles for the Retirement Management Journal®
- Regular webinars with timely presentations on important developments
- RMA® discounts on registration at RIIA conferences
RMA’s are also eligible to join RIIA as Individual Members at the discounted rate of just $200/annually. There are many additional benefits to becoming a RIIA member:
- Access to the RIIA members only website
- Access to free executive summaries of RIIA sponsored research studies and discounts on the full studies
- Eligibility to serve on RIIA committees for additional opportunities to participate with key leaders shaping the retirement income industry
- The opportunity to be a speaker at RIIA events